Saturday 31 August 2013

Essentials - I over packed though...


Hospital essentials

·         A big shirt with buttons down it (if you’re breastfeeding) and because you have a catheter in for the 1st 24 hours and can’t go anywhere!
·         Bridget jones, full brief knickers! Not sexy I know, but it is the last thing on your mind and your partner shouldn’t really care, you just had his baby and major surgery. Get a size you would never dream yourself to ever wear. I wear 14/16 normally and bought size 20/22. I find Tesco’s full brief knickers are softer and larger!
·         Big PJ’s. You don’t want nothing at all on your scar, so make sure the pjs you buy can be pulled up and your boobs be tucked in them (trust me!)
·         Breast pads
·         Maternity pads (Don’t buy night time pads, they aren’t the same!) and you bleed A LOT!
·         Nursing bra
·         Toiletries (There is nothing like a nice shower and fresh pjs)
·         Towels (Hospital do provide them but they are the size of postage stamps)
I was recommended by a friend who had had 2 sections to buy Arnica. http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Arnica-30c-84-Pillules_845540/ I also bought the cream but you cannot use the cream until your scar is well and truly healed. I just took advantage of the offer (I love 2 for 1’s)
·         A nice baggy outfit to go home in. I wore some size 22 leggings and a maternity top. I also had the Anti-Embolism stockings on (also a very sexy item of clothing) and a pair of bright pink slippers... (No shame! Didn’t care, just had a baby!)
Oh and also, I would ask if the midwives can put a cot on the side of your bed, because unless your bed is pumped right up, it is difficult to move to put your baby back in the cot that comes with your room. Also I found myself falling to sleep a lot, he was feeding every hour but just suckling, still crying for it though so it was easy to pop in this cot that was right next to me and attached to my bed. Also it is easier on the stomach!

Baby Essentials

·         5-10 sleep suits (I say this many as I was covered and he was in pee on a few occasions and I had a leaky nappy *tiredness* which went all down his leg and stained the suit) I recommend buying the starter kits from Asda/Boots/Tesco. http://www.boots.com/en/Mini-Club-Basics-Pink-8-Piece-Set_1290494/ - I got a white set from Asda.
·         Mittens
·         Socks
·         Dummies (I know what you’re thinking but your baby has just come out of a lovely warm, snuggly womb and wants to be on you all the time. I aren’t saying this is a bad thing but when you have been awake 28 hours it hurts when your baby is screaming every hour for a suckle)
·         Muslin squares (babies leak)
·         Nappies
·         Baby Wipes
·         An outfit to come home in. (Mine was only a little Tigger suit but had some colour in it)
Before you leave hospital, ask for a bath demo. The midwife bathes your baby and shows you how to do it properly. Massive help for a first time Mum.

 Twitter @hayley_lou3686

No comments:

Post a Comment